“Trump described McCormick as a ‘liberal Wall Street Republican’”
PENNSYLVANIA — Friday night Donald Trump held a rally in support of his endorsed candidate New Jersey daytime TV show host Mehmet Oz. During the rally, he viciously attacked Connecticut hedge fund executive David McCormick.
Read what they’re saying about Trump’s attacks below:
- Philadelphia Inquirer, Trump boosts Pa. Senate candidate Mehmet Oz — and declares rival David McCormick ‘not MAGA’: “Former President Donald Trump aimed to flex his muscles as a GOP kingmaker here Friday night, praising Senate candidate Mehmet Oz while hammering his chief primary rival, David McCormick, as a weak Republican who would fit in with Trump’s perceived nemeses.”
Abby Philip: I just want to set the scene at this rally on friday. Trump really going after the many people who used to work for him, who now work for the guy he didn’t endorse, David McCormick.
Trump: Dr. Oz is running against the liberal, wall street Republican named David McCormick. If anybody was within 200 miles of me, he hired them. He may be a nice guy, he’s not MAGA. David is totally controlled by Mitch McConnell.
- Dom Giordano Program: “I think he has stabilized Dr. Oz, I thought Oz was fading to your point with the bashing from McCormick and all those big names. And he’s stabilized him, but he hasn’t advanced him yet. Although you’re right, Friday was different. He really tore apart McCormick. This was a different sort of thing, rather than just touting Oz.”
- WESA, Trump promotes Oz and attacks McCormick as thousands turn out for rally in Greensburg: “Trump may have helped Oz more by lacing into Oz’s chief rival in the GOP primary: former hedge fund manager David McCormick. Trump described McCormick as a “liberal Wall Street Republican,” who he mocked precisely for his efforts to curry Trump’s favor.”
- The Hill: “In a speech, Trump praised Oz, a first-time candidate, as a steadfast adherent of his “Make America Great Again” movement, and hammered McCormick as more like retiring Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) “than he is MAGA.” Toomey was one of seven Republican senators who voted last year to convict Trump in his second impeachment trial.”
- City & State: “Oz’s primary opponent, former hedge fund executive Dave McCormick, found himself in Trump’s crosshairs throughout the evening, despite McCormick receiving support from former officials from Trump’s administration. Trump also compared McCormick to outgoing Sen. Pat Toomey, and suggested that McCormick doesn’t believe in Trump’s agenda.”