Doug Mastriano is the most dangerous and extreme gubernatorial candidate in Pennsylvania history.
PENNSYLVANIA — Doug Mastriano is the leader of the far-right fringe — more extreme than even Trump himself — and he’s the most dangerous gubernatorial candidate in Pennsylvania history. Mastriano has made crystal clear what he stands for — banning abortion and criminalizing doctors, throwing out Pennsylvanians’ votes if he doesn’t like the outcome, and peddling conspiracy theories. The stakes couldn’t be higher for electing Josh Shapiro to protect our rights.
Now, Republicans are reeling after nominating a “QAnon-Loving Election Denier” as their candidate for Governor. In case you needed a reminder of why Mastriano is the most dangerous gubernatorial candidate in Pennsylvania history, here are some highlights from his extreme and unpopular agenda:
- Mastriano twice sponsored a 6-week abortion ban before most women know they’re pregnant and now wants to outlaw abortion at 3-weeks with no exceptions — including for rape, incest, or the life of the mother — and criminalize doctors, throwing medical professionals in jail for performing abortions.
- Mastriano was one of only seven who voted against raising Pennsylvania’s minimum wage to $9.50/hr, and has opposed all efforts to raise the minimum wage. Furthermore, Mastriano supports making Pennsylvania a so-called right-to-work state, meaning lower wages for PA workers.
- Mastriano attended the deadly Jan. 6 insurrection that left 140 police officers injured — crossing police barricades and paying thousands of dollars to bus Pennsylvanians to the Capitol that day — and he has been subpoenaed by Congress for his efforts to help Donald Trump overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.
- Mastriano was the original architect of Harrisburg Republicans’ sham election “audit” that risks nine million Pennsylvanians’ personal, private information, and signed on to a letter calling for forensic audits in all 50 states and the possible decertification of results.
- Mastriano now wants to force all Pennsylvania voters to re-register to vote, and he is refusing to share who he has selected to become Pennsylvania’s next Secretary of State.
- Mastriano also says he could throw out Pennsylvanians’ votes if he disagrees with the outcome by decertifying all of the state’s voting machines “with the stroke of a pen.”
- Mastriano has promoted the QAnon conspiracy theory that believes a “group of Satan-worshiping elites” run a sex ring and try to control our politics and media.
- Mastriano “falsely” suggested the lifesaving COVID-19 vaccines were not true vaccines and has spread COVID disinformation.
“Republicans’ nominee for Governor Doug Mastriano is the most dangerous gubernatorial candidate in Pennsylvania history — and he’s not even trying to hide it,” said Pennsylvania Democratic Party spokesperson Marisa Nahem. “Republicans are accountable for Doug Mastriano’s extreme plans to attack our democracy and take away Pennsylvanians’ rights — from reproductive rights to voting rights to workers’ rights Mastriano’s agenda is crystal clear, and that’s why we need to elect Josh Shapiro as Pennsylvania’s next Governor.”